Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Two weeks left

I dropped Craig off at the Minneapolis airport at 5:15 this morning with a small carry-on backpack. He flies to L.A., where he's meeting up with Bob, then onto Seoul and eventually Phnom Penh - the capital of Cambodia. From there, they are flying to Phuket, Thailand - a resort town in Southern Thailand, where they'll meet up with Fish. Phuket was hit fairly hard by the big tsunami of 2004.

It is COLD here. It is currently 1 degree. In Bangkok, it is 81 degrees. I am enjoying the beauty of the frozen landscape, mostly from behind windows. I love the winter horizon of big blue sky, sparky frozen snow, and muscular bur oaks in Minnesota.

A new travel skill that I recently acquired is making passport photos so that I don't have to buy them from some photography studio in the back of a department store for $30. I took head-chest shots of me, and Craig, with a white background, no flash, and no shadows. This online tutorial details how to modify the photo to make it appropriate for passport (or visa in my case) standards. I printed them out at Walgreens in 10 minutes, at a cost of $0.15/photo. You can also use their in-store photo booth to make passport photos, if you are technologically-disabled or not in possession of photo modification software.

I leave two weeks from today. I'm ready to go right now, but I suppose it'll be nice to have a couple of weeks to experience some sloth after three months of part-time work and unemployment and before I go travel for two months. I imagine that eating 15 kinds of tropical fruits, lounging in hammocks, and going on adventures will be terribly exhausting.

2 comments:

Jessica Massey Benton Lobdell said...

Burr, it is cold here too, but not nearly as cold as it is in Minnesota! I can't wait to read about your trip once you are on it. :) Awesome banner image by the way....

Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage!